Vegetarian World Forum
THE VEGETARIAN No. 3 Vol.
3 - AUTUMN 1949 p.13
PLATFORM OF THE AMERICAN VEGETARIAN
Quoted from the "Dessau Statement" made at Rhinebeck.
NATURAL WAY OF LIFE
- Vegetarianism is the natural way of life that enlivens men of every
race, creed and colour.
- It advocates a diet which excludes fish, flesh and fowl.
- It claims the liberty and inalienable right of everyone to use the
healing forces of nature, which are able to maintain and restore health.
- It is conducive to better living and to the physical, mental, moral,
ethical and spiritual development of the entire human race.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The American Vegetarian Union is a nonpolitical, non-sectarian, non-profit
- To promote the Vegetarian philosophy of life.
- To encourage an interest among all peoples, non-vegetarian and vegetarian
alike, to an appreciation of the immense value of Vegetarian principles.
- To emphasize particularly the tremendous influence the application
of this philosophy will have on our social and economic life.
- To accept the economic, moral and social challenges and responsibilities
of the world by co-operating with men and women of good will everywhere
toward the peaceful solution of such problems.
- To stress the necessity for peace and love among men and all other
- To favour the inclusion of scientific instruction relative to the
effects of the Vegetarian movement.
- To devise ways and means to finance and further these objectives
for the common good.
These Aims and Objectives shall be accomplished by organising the following
suggested types of work as outlined by Kaj Dessau in his statement November
12th, 1948, at the First American Conference held at Rhinebeck, New York.
- Youth movements.
- Training school for leaders.
- Private Vegetarian schools.
- Production of fruits and vegetables.
- Marketing of fruits and vegetables.
- Maternity homes.
- Health schools.
- Homes for the aged.
- Vegetarian restaurants.
- Camps for adults and children.
- Health resorts.
- Local recreational and cultural centres.
- Community clubs.
- Co-operative communities.
- Vegetarian census.
- Research and reference source.
- Consultation service.
- Public relation service.
- National monthly publication.
- Printing and distribution of books, periodicals, pamphlets, etc.
- Libraries and reading rooms.
- National and regional headquarters.
Vegetarian World Forum Index