|International Vegetarian Union|
Members and Supporters
Minutes of Meetings of The International Council
IVU COUNCIL - MINUTES 2ND SESSION
The second session of the IVU Council was held on Friday 8/1/99 at 1.30 at the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Those present were
Mr. Maxwell Lee. President in the chair.
Item 11. Manker Trophy
The recommendation of the sub-committee to award the Manker Trophy posthumously to the Late Lady Linda Mo Cartney for her contribution towards propogating vegetarianism was approved.
Replicas of the existing trophy were decided to be given to recipients for their permanent custody.
Mr Kevin Pickard agreed to keep in custody the Manker Trophy until the Toronto Congress in 2000
12. Decision making by the International Council
It was decided that all duties should be shared by council members
13. Use of the Internet
It was resolved that e-mail be included along with postal ballot in the constitution. Mr. John Davis proposed the resolution and Mr. Kevin Pickard seconded it. The resolution was carried unanimously.
Mr. John Davis proposed that a voters e-mail list be created for every IVU body with voting rights initially for discussion of constitutional changes.
14. a) Appointment of Hon.Gen.Secretart - b) Appointment of Asst.Gen.Secretary
Mr. Francisco Martin and Mr. Hiren Kara offered to do the duties of the Hon. Gen. Secretary. Both, being interested, did not take part in the discussion.
It was decided that Mr. Francisco Martin be appointed as Hon.Gen.Secretary and Mr. Hiren N. Kara be appointed as Hon. Asst. Gen. Secretary.
The following volunteered to take responsibilities of
1) Subcriptions/Donations/Membership - Tina Fox volunteered to take permission of the trustees of the V.S.U.K. and persuade the V.S.U.K. staff to do the activity for I.V.U. Mr. Kevin Pickard would be in overall charge.
2) Newsletter and advertising Mr. Paul Turner
3) Appeals for fund raising: Mr. Francisco Martin
4) Webmaster Mr. John Davis
5) Manker Trophy miniature replicas: Mr. Jashu Shah
6) Pulic Relations : Mr. Maxwell Lee, the President would oversee and delegate.
7) Vegetarian information correspondence Francieco Martin and Hiren Kara
8) Minutes and correspondence - Hiren N. Kara
It was unanimously decided not to reveal figures for election of council members Mr. Paul Turner and Mr. Simon Chau announced that they were unable to stay any longer and apologised for leaving the meeting.
15. IVU funding
Mr. Francisco Martin was requested to persue the matter
16. The role of IVU in the 21st century
This would be decided after the amended constitution is in effect.
17. Structure and activities of IVU
These would be discussed regularly on the internet
18. Reports of regional secretaries
Reports were received from the regional secretaries Dr. P.K.Jain for Africa and Mr. J.C. Shah for India and the East.
19. World Congress Organisation
The progress would be monitored through the internet
20. IVU Constitution
This would be placed on the internet along. with the draft of the proposed amendment.
21. IVU Membership
Should any council member come in contact with any society they should be encouraged to join the I.V.U.
22. Any other business
Dr. P. K. Jain's request for additional financial help towards the Congress was declined.
It was resolved that the IVU not cover any costs in order to bring any council to a Congress without a vote of the International Council. Mr. Kevin pickard proposed and Mr.John Davis seconded the resolution, which was carried unanimously.
b) Budgets 1999-2000 Mr Francisco Martin was requested to present it by 8th Feb. 99 failing which Mr. M.Lee would do it before 8 Mar.99.
c) Hr. Francisco Martin was requested to provide figures towards amounts received towards registration and expenses made in connection with registration. Ms. Katharina Bless was requested to clarify the new arrangements for payment to the Thai organisers.
There being no other business the meeting then terminated with a vote of thanks to the chair.