West Asia /Africa
Back to the Phrases Index
Choose your own language
(this page is in English)
- Ek is 'n vegetariër - I am a vegetarian
- Ek eet nie vleis, hoender of vis nie - I don't eat meat, poultry
- Ek hou nie van vleis nie - I don't like meat
- Ek eet nie eiers of melk nie - I don't eat milk and eggs
- Het julle enige vegetariese geregte? - Do you have any vegetarian
- Ek is lief vir diere, daarom eet ek hulle nie - I love animals,
so I don't eat them
- Sega albellam - I don't eat meat
- Ana Nabatee - I am vegetarian [male]
- Ana Nabateeya - I am vegetarian [female]
- Mish Akool Lahma walla Ferekh khalis - I don't eat meat or chicken
- Ana nbattee. Ana laa akul lohhoom. - I am vegetarian. I don't
eat any meat.
Words separated by = are synonyms, e.g. you can say dzu or havkit`.
"ch" as in English "chip"; "s" always sharp (unvoiced) as in "case"; "x"
like "ch" in "loch" or Germ. "ach"; "gh" is its voiced counterpart. "&"
like "a" in "about" (schwa); p`, t` and k` are aspirated. The apostrophe
*preceding* a syllable means that syllable is more strongly stressed;
a, e, i, o, u as in Spanish (or Italian), approximately as in part, get
(fête), clique, note, Luke, but shorter. [` = ` (grave accent)]
- yes/menk` busa'ker=banjara'ker em/enk` (sg./pl.). - [I am/we
- yes/menk` 1:anasun 2:(&spanvatz) anasunits &statsvatz vo(r)yeve
nyut` 3:mis 4:yershik 5:hav 6:haveghen 7:dzuk 8:panir 9:kat` 10:karag
11: dzu=havkit` 12:megh(&)r 'chem/chenk` utum//x&mum. - I/we don't
eat//drink 1:animals 2:anything from (slaughtered) animals 3:meat
4:sausage 5:chicken 6:poultry 7:fish 8:cheese 9:milk 10:butter 11:eggs
- yes/menk` u'tum//x&'mum enk` panir/kat`/etc. - I/we do eat//drink
- yes/menk` panir/kat`/etc. u'tum//x&'mum em/enk`. - I/we eat//drink
- yes/menk` si'rum em/enk` anasunner&, n&rants 'chem/chenk` utum.
- I/we love animals, I/we don't eat them.
- Man Giyah jharam - I am a vegetarian
- Man gousht nemikhoram - I don't eat meat
- Ani tsimchoni(t) - I am a (female) vegetarian.
- Ani t'ivoni(t) - I am (female) vegan
- V'ani lo ochel(et) chalav o g'vinah. - And I don't eat milk or
- Ani lo ochel(et) dagim. - I don't eat fish
- yesh lachem mana tsimhonit? - do you have a vegeterian dish?
- yesh basviva misaada tsimhonit? - is there a vegeterian restourant
- Basar ze retzach - meat is murder
- Ani lo ochel(et) betzim - I don't eat eggs
- Ani lo ochel(et) dvash - I don't eat honey
- Ani lo mishtamesh(et) be`or - I don't use leather
- Ani ohev(et) chayot, az ani lo ochel(et) otan [accent on last syllables]
- I love animals, so I don't eat them
- most of the people that live in Israel know English well (it's
taught as a 2nd language!) so give it a try with people between the
ages of 12-65.
- Ez gosht naxwim / Mn gosht nakhwim - I do not eat meat.
Malagasy (language of Madagascar)
- Izaho tsy mihinan-kena - I don't eat meat
Swahili (East Africa)
More precisely: Kiswahili, the language of the Swahili
- Mimi sili nyama walla kuku - I eat neither meat nor chicken
- Mimi sili nyama - I don't eat meat
- Mimi sili mayai - I don't eat eggs
- Mimi sili nguruwe - I don't eat pork
- Ng'ombe - beef/cow; Maziwa - milk; Samaki fish
- Ane siga aybel'en eye. - I don't eat meat
- Ane hamli tiray ybel'e. - I eat only vegetable
- Ane wala derho aybel'en eye. - I don't even eat chicken.
- Ane sebeyti eye. - I am a woman ; ane seb'ay eye. - I
am a man.
- Siga - meat ; Hamli - vegetable ; Bani - bread
- Ane - I
- Nsikha - you (male) ; Nsikatkum - you (plural male)
- Nsikhi - you (female) ; Nsikatkn - you (plural female)
- Nsu - he ; Nsa - she ; Nhna - we
- Nsatom - they (male) ; Nsaten - they (female)
- Vejeteryaným - I am a vegetarian
- Et yemiyorum - I don't eat meat
- Hic et yiyemem [heech et yee-yeh-mem] - I can't eat any meat
- Et suyu bile yiyemem. - I can't even eat meat juices
- ... yiyemem - I can't eat ...
- Et yiyemem - I can't eat meat
- Tavuk [tah-vook] - chicken
- Pilic [pee-leech] - chicken
- Yumurta [yoo-moor-tah] - egg
- BalIk [bah-luck] - fish
- Etsiz yemek var mI? [Et-seez yeh-mek var muh?] - Do you have
any dishes without meat?
- Etsiz sebze yemeði - Vegetable dish without meat
buy Books, CDs or
Videos by these
vegetarianism, go to: