From: Bob Schumaker
1. Melt margarine in large stock pot.
- 3 Tbsp margarine or soy spread
- 2 cups carrots thinly sliced
- 12 cups boiling water
- 1 cup black eye peas dry
- 1 cup navy beans dry
- 1 cup green pepper diced
- 3 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup salted peanuts chopped
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp basil leaves crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
Add carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add water, black eyed peas, navy beans, green pepper, salt,
and crushed red pepper (add more water, if necessary, to cover).
3. Cook, covered, until ingredients are tender, 1 1/2-2 hours.
4. Add peanuts, onion powder, basil, and coriander during last
10-15 minutes of cooking.
5. Taste to correct seasonings.
Soup should be thick.
NOTES: If you want more of a peanut flavor, add peanut butter
(any kind) to taste during step 4.
I use about 1/2 of a cup.
RATING: Difficulty: easy.
Time: 15 minutes preparation, 2 hours cooking.
Precision: no need to measure.