Bamya Alich'a (Ethiopian-Style Okra)
Can be served hot or at room temperature. If you really don't like the texture from the okra, split the pods, soak overnight in water, and drain well before cooking. From "The Africa Cookbook".
SERVES 4 -6
- 4 cups okra, trimmed and split lenthwise (seeded if mature)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups red onions, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 2 jalapenos, minced
In a medium saucepan, heat oil.
Cook onions until light brown.
Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Lower heat, and stir in garlic, ginger, and cardamon. Add the okra and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Add chiles and cook five more minutes.