Moroccan Lentil and Garbanzo Soup
From: Trish Carr
I love Moroccan food, and this soup is a
truly delicious sample of it.
This recipe is almost unaltered from the original.
The only thing I added was 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, and only because
I ate this soup at a restaurant recently and am pretty darn sure
it had cumin in it.
I'm sure each cook has his or her own twist on it.
I asked the waiter for the recipe, but was told the chef never revealed
them, and especially wouldn't reveal what spices he used.
Other than that, this recipe is very close to the soup I had at
Kitty Morse - The Vegetarian Table: North Africa
Serving Size : 8
In a soup pot over medium high heat, heat the oil and cook the onions,
stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions -- sliced
- 1 x 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 threads Spanish saffron -- crushed
- 20 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 10 sprigs parsley, flat leaf
- salt -- to taste
- black pepper -- freshly ground
- 1 cup lentils -- rinsed & picked over
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans -- cooked, with liquid
- 1 1/2 cups fava beans -- cooked, with liquid
- 1/2 cup capellini -- (thin, dried pasta)
- lemon wedges -- as desired/garnish
In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes, ginger, cinnamon,
turmeric, saffron, cilantro, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Puree the mixture, in batches if necessary, until fairly smooth.
Add to the onions and bring to a boil.
Add the lentils and water.
Cover tightly and reduce heat to low.
Simmer the soup until the lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
Add the undrained garbanzo beans and the favas and bring the soup
back to a low boil.
Add the pasta and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with lemon wedges.
Canned fava beans, called foul mudammas, are available in Middle
Eastern and Italian markets, and sometimes in the specialty section
of large supermarkets.