(Ethiopian Sourdough Flatbread)
Makes 5 Large Injeras (Crepes)
1. In a large bowl mix 2 1/2 cups water with 2 cups TEFF flour.
- 2 cups TEFF flour
- 2 cups self-rising flour, rice or barley flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 cups luke warm water
2. In a blender mix self-rising or other flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking
powder and 2 1/2 cups water, then pour mixture into a second bowl.
3. Cover both bowls and leave them for 2-3 days until fermentation
and water has risen to the top of each mixture.
4. Carefully pour off the water that now covers the mixtures.
5. Combine the two mixtures in one bowl, cover and let the mixture
stand for 2 hours until it rises.
6. Pour the batter evenly to form a thin layer over the surface
of a large heated skillet. The skillet temperature should be 425F.
7. Cook mixture until a spongy, crepe-like bread is formed. Remove
from heat and allow to cool.
8. Place food on injera and arrange folded injera around edges
of serving dish. Injera around edge of dish are used to pick up
morsels of food.
Taken From ``Taste of Ethiopia'', for this and scores of other
exciting recipes to eat with injeras, contact below for current
Merkato Market, 2116 18th Street. N.W., Washington, DC 20009, Phone
: (202) 483-9499, Fax : (202) 483-9497