Moroccan Chickpea Salad
From: Mint Chocolate Chick
Marinated, slightly spicy Middle Eastern-style chickpea salad. I bought something like this at a fancy grocery store but peeked at the ingredients and decided I could make it at home. It can be healthy, too, and it's easy to make.
SERVES 6 -8
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans artichoke hearts
- 1/2 onion
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange is nice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne powder
Rinse and drain chickpeas.
Drain artichoke hearts and cut into smaller pieces.
Chop onion and bell pepper.
Whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, and cayenne.
Pour dressing over vegetables and stir to coat.
Allow salad to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
I do not add salt. Canned vegetables are salty, anyway (which is one reason I rinsed the chickpeas), but since the dressing is vinegar, lemon juice, and cayenne, you really don't need to add any salt.
You can also use fresh or dried-and-cooked chickpeas instead, of course.