Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup
From: mikey & ev
Chunky, hearty, and satisfying vegan soup. From 'Good Deal w/Dave Lieberman'
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more
- extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
- 1 large onion, medium diced
- 6-8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) package pre-washed baby spinach
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion and garlic and saute until the onions begin to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur.
Add spices and saute a minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, and sugar.
Season with a couple pinches of salt and 10 grinds fresh pepper. Stir well.
Chickpeas should be just covered with liquid. If level is shy, add some water so the chickpeas are just covered.
Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot.
Stir in the spinach and let heat through until wilted, just a couple minutes.
Season again, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Serve soup, drizzled lightly with extra-virgin olive oil, if desired.