from: Asha Dornfest
(from Moosewood Cooks at Home)
Saute onions in stock for 5 minutes.
- 1 1/2 c. thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 c. vegie stock
- 3 c. thinly sliced cabbage
- dash of salt
- 1 large green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (has a mild, nutty taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (adds golden color)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 28-oz can undrained chopped tomatoes
- 1 16-oz can cooked chick peas/garbanzo beans
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants (optional, but very good)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Add cabbage, sprinkle with salt, saute for another 5 min.
Add bell pepper and spices to skillet, saute another minute.
Stir in tomatoes, chick peas and raisins, simmer covered for 15
minutes till vegies are tender.
Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
Serve on top of rice, couscous or other grain.