Vegetable Alecha (Vegetable Soup)
Yield: 8 portions
The Copts in Ethiopia have many fast days on which they are not permitted to eat meat. Vegetables Alechas and Wats are substituted on these days. (The Wat differs from the Alecha in that it is made with a spice called Ber-beri or Awaze.)
In a 4-quart saucepan:
- Sauté: 1 cup Bermuda Onions in
- 4 T Oil until soft but not brown.
- 4 Carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch slices
- 4 Green Peppers, cleaned and cut in quarters
- 3 cups Water
- 1 6-oz. can Tomato Sauce
- 2 t Salt
- ½ t Ground Ginger
Cook for 10 minutes covered.
- Add 4 Potatoes cut in thick slices.
- Plunge 2 Tomatoes in boiling water, remove skins, cut in 8 wedges each, and add to stew.
Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add 8 Cabbage Wedges, 1 inch wide.
- Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.
Cook until vegetables are tender. Correct the seasoning. Place in an attractive bowl and portion out uniformly.