In large heavy pot, over medium-high heat, heat oil and saute onions
for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 C vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf, crushed
- 5 whole allspice berries
- 2 tsp salt or herbal substitute
- 3 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp carob powder (or cocoa)
- 2 C low sodium tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 C cooked pinto beans
- 2 C tofu, frozen, thawed, and crumbled
Add remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Serves 6 to 8.