- Edinburgh, Scotland
I made this one up as I went along, when I had a limited selection
of ingredients to hand.
Dice the tofu and potatoes and slice the shallots.
- Olive oil
- c. 250g firm tofu
- 2 shallots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 dried chipotle chillis (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- a few cloves
- 2 tsp. oregano
- garlic to taste (lots, in my case)
- 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- Half an imperial pint stock (I used a Kosher fake chicken soup)
- 14oz tin chick peas (garbanzo beans)
Heat up the olive oil and sautÚ the lot until you start to get brown
Cover and let it steam in its own juices for five minutes or so.
Grind the chillis, cloves and cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle.
Add this mixture, plus the oregano and garlic to the pan and stir
it all in.
Add the tin of tomatoes, the stock and the chick peas.
Bring to the boil, cover and cook until done!
Serve with brown rice.
Smoked tofu would be nicer but I'd eaten that the day before.
I would normally use red kidney or pinto beans, but they were out
of stock, too.