"Chinese" Sweet and Sour Balls
from: Dr House
From Louise Hagler's Tofu Cookery
SERVES 6 , 36 balls
- 1 1/2 lbs extra-firm silken tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 8 green onions
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned mushroom slices or 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
Yes the recipe does say brown sugar twice. Yes unless you want to convert from grams use both.
cut onions and green peppers into 1/4 inch pieces.
Mash tofu in bowl.
Then mix in the rest of the ingredients. Form into 2 inch balls. Roll in flour and fry in 1/2 inch oil browning on all sides. Do NOT let oil smoke. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
Combine sauce in saucepan over med heat.
Whisk out the lumps and heat, stir constantly until thickens.
Pour over balls when serving. Make sure they are well coated.