Crunchy Chinese Cucumber Salad
A lovely crunchy salad which takes a bit more time than a simple cucumber salad, but it's really worth it! Goes well as a starter or a side dish with a chinese meal.
SERVES 2 -4
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 big mild chili pepper, deseeded, sliced into rings (or a small hot chilli finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cucumber (ca 350g/12ounces, unpeeled)
- 150 ml hot water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
Preparation of cucumber:.
Half washed but unpeeled cucumber lengthwise. Remove the seeds with a spoon and discard. Slice into ca 1/2 cm / 1/5 inch pieces. Put into a bowl.
Mix hot water and salt and pour it over the cucumber pieces. Leave cucumbers in water for ca 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a medium skillet.
Add chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients of the dressing until the sesame oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add garlic and sesame. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Put aside.
Drain the cucumber pieces (after the 20 minutes in the water) and squeeze them slightly. Mix with the dressing (I do this in the skillet and put salad afterwards into a bowl) and leave the salad for 2 hours to develop its flavour.
Serve as a starter or as a side dish to a chinese meal.