Mango Tofu Stir Fry
Serve this with rice/rice noodles.
SERVES 4 -6
- 1/2 lb snap peas, ends trimmed, if needed
- 1 carrot, sliced into long pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) packet firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
Mango Tomatillo Salsa (use 2 cups)
- 1 semi-ripe mango, peeled and seeded, plus
- 1 semi-ripe mango, peeled, seeded, and small diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 orange, juice of
- 10 medium tomatillos, peeled washed, and diced finely
- 1 medium ripe tomato, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Begin by peeling 1 of the mangos removing all the flesh possible and discarding the seed.
Place the mango pieces in a blender with jalapeno, lime juice and orange juice. Blend until smooth and place in large bowl.
Meanwhile peel and remove flesh from the remaining mango and finely dice.
To finish the salsa, add the tomatillos, tomato, red onion, cilantro, and the diced mango all to the pureed mango mixture season with salt and pepper.
For the tofu:.
1. Fill a large bowl with water and add ice. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the snap peas. Blanch until they brighten and have lost their raw taste, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the snap peas and transfer them to the ice water. When cold, drain.
2. In a large bowl, combine the tofu, sesame oil, cornstarch, and soy sauce and mix. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Heat a wok or heavy sauté pan over high heat. Add the grapeseed oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the tofu and stir-fry until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the snap peas and the salsa. Season with salt and pepper and serve.