Spicy Bean Curd (Ma Po)
from: P Norte
From "Asian Vegetarian Feast: Tempting Vegetable and Pasta Recipes
from the East" by Ken Hom.
He has ingredient lists, shopping guides and recipes for almost
every kind of oriental sauce you've ever tried and many tofu recipes.
It's a great and informative book.
- 1 pound soft bean curd, drained
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon water
Cut the bean curd into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
Heat a wok or large frying-pan over high heat and add the oil.
Put in the ginger, garlic, chili bean sauce, and bean sauce and
stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add the sugar, stock, and rice wine and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir the blended cornstarch into the wok.
When the sauce has slightly thickened, add the bean curd cubes
and stir gently.
Continue to cook for 2 minutes until the bean curd is heated through.
Garnish and serve at once with rice, crispy noodles or bread.