Sour Pomegranate Tofu
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced gingeroot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup walnuts, ground to a coarse powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pomegranates, syrup (can be found in an Iranian
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup water
1. Saute onion in hot oil in large skillet until richly browned, but
not burned, 8 to 12 minutes, stirring often.
- 1 16 oz. package firm Chinese-style tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas, defrosted
(If necessary sprinkle a little water to keep the onions from burning.)
Stir in garlic and gingerroot.
Add turmeric, cumin and 1/4 cup water.
Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove from heat.
2. Process onion-garlic mixture, walnuts, and 1/2 cup water in
a food processor until thick and creamy, adding a little extra water
if mixture is too thick.
Remove to a medium bowl and add sugar, pomegranate syrup, salt and
Mix well and transfer to the same skillet.
3. Bring mixture to a simmer.
Add tofu and peas.
Simmer, covered, 5 to 7 minutes.
During this time, uncover once and gently turn the tofu pieces.
Taste and adjust the salt and cayenne.
Serve garnished with cilantro.
Best served with plain steamed Basmati rice