SERVES 3 -4
- 1 1/2 lbs eggplants, 2 inch wedges
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red bean paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns, roasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (I use arrowroot)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Mix bean paste, soy sauce, dry sherry, vinegar, sugar and Szechuan peppercorns in one bowl.
Mix cornstarch, water and sesame oil in another bowl.
Heat Wok until hot, add oils and heat until the oil streams freely on the side of the wok.
Add eggplant to the wok and toss until coated with oil.
Cook until it's soft and golden brown (about 6 minutes).
Add sauce and cook for 3 seconds.
Add starch mixture and cook until the starch turns translucent.
Serve with Rice.