Szechuan Green Beans 2
This was one of my favorite dishes when I lived in China. The recipe comes from "Potsticker Chronicles" by Stuart Chang Berman.
- 1 lb chinese long beans or regular green beans, cut on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon bean sauce (preferably Koon Chun)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (black or mushroom)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
If using regular green beans, steam or parboil them for 5 minutes. (Regular green beans are thicker than Chinese long beans so they take longer to cook).
Rinse cut beans in cold water.
Combine the bean sauce, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, cornstarch, chili paste, and sesame oil.
Add 2 tablespoons cold water.
Heat both oils in a wok until smoking.
Add beans and stir-fry for 10 minutes or until beans are bright green in color and slightly wrinkled.
Add sauce and stir-fry until sauce thickens.