Another Recipe Courtesy of Flora's Recipe Hideout ;
Serving Size: 8
- 2 cups Self-rising flour -- (pref. 85% whole-wheat)
- 1/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups Vanilla sugar -- OR- Superfine sugar
- 9 tablespoons Sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- Vegan margarine -- for greasing
VEGAN LEMON CAKE VARIATION
- 1 Qty. Chocolate Fudge Icing -- OR- Chocolate Butter
- Dark chocolate -- coarsely grated
- Confectioners' sugar
Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- 1/2 cup additional flour
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 Lemon -- rind grated
Grease two 8- to 8-1/2-inch shallow cake pans and line the base of
each with a circle of greased wax paper.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl.
Add the sugar, oil and water.
Mix well to a batter-like consistency.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and bake for about 40
minutes, until the cakes spring back to a light touch in the center.
Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and strip off the wax paper.
Allow to cool completely.
Sandwich the cake together with half the fudge icing or chocolate
buttercream and coat the top with the rest.
Sprinkle on a little grated chocolate and confectioners' sugar.
Variation: VEGAN LEMON CAKE:
Use the additional amount of flour and omit the cocoa powder.
Replace 2 tb. of the water with lemon juice and add the grated
Sandwich the cakes together and coat the top with lemon buttercream
or fudge icing and decorate the cake with yellow sugar decorations
and leaves cut from angelica.