From: Lori Vanwyk
My kids love this one, and my oldest daughter adds a splash of
bottled szechwan spicy peanut satay sauce to her bowl...that's
too hot for me.
- 1 cup long grain rice, soaked for 1 hour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mashed garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp curry paste, mild or hot, depends on how you like it
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 block (approx 350g) extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vegetable broth and seasoning powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanutbutter
- 1 can beans, drained (we like black beans or lentils)
- 2 spring onions (green onions), chopped
Heat oil in large pot and cook garlic, ginger, curry paste, onion,
bell pepper, and tofu until onion is softened.
Add soy sauce, broth seasoning, brown sugar, and peanutbutter
and stir until peanutbutter melts.
Add soaked and drained rice and drained beans or lentils, mix
well and add water to cover by 3-cm. Bring to boil, then cook
on very low heat until the liquid has been absorbed (about 20
minutes)and rice is completely cooked.
Stir in the chopped spring onion.