(Mixed Vegetable Salad with Peanut Sauce)
Origin: Java; Serves: 8 to 10
Note: Vegetables may be added to the ingredients or substituted for
the ones listed here
- 1/2 pound small potatoes, boiled in their skins until tender,
peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage, boiled for 2 minutes and drained
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced thin, boiled for 2 minutes and drained
- 1/2 pound bean sprouts, boiled for 3 minutes and drained
- 1/4 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths, boiled for 3
minutes and drained
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup sliced jicama (optional)
- Peanut Sauce (see first recipe above)
- 2 squares of Chinese soybean curd, boiled for 10 minutes, drained,
and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons Crispy Fried Shallots
Chill all the vegetables separately in individual containers.
In a large serving bowl or on a platter, arrange the vegetables
in layers as follows:
Potatoes on the bottom, then the cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts,
green beans, cucumber, and jicama.
Pour the warm Peanut Sauce over the salad
Scatter the soybean cubes and the Crispy Fried Shallots on top.
Serve at room temperature.