Indonesian Salad With Spicy Peanut Dressing
A very filling and exciting salad, good for main course or as a side dish or appetizer.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 small potatoes, boiled and cut into bite-sized wedges
- 1/2 lb fresh spinach, cleaned,steamed,and chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded and lightly steamed
- 1/2 lb mung bean sprouts, washed thoroughly
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoons lime juice or lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
Heat the oil and salt in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
Add the tofu in small batches and saute until lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Arrange the tofu, potatoes, spinach, and cabbage on six separate plates.
Prepare the dressing by placing all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth.
If the dressing seems too thick, add another teaspoonful of water.
Top the tofu and vegetables with the bean sprouts and dressing, and serve immediately.