Indonesian Rice Salad With Orange-Sesame-Cilantro Dressing
A potluck or picnic favorite. You will like the subtle flavors. If you don't like Cilantro, leave it out.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews or peanuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut in half down lengthwise,and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
Cook rice according to directions and place in a bowl to cool to room temperature.
When cool, add pineapple, cashews, raisins, green onions, red and green bell peppers, celery, bean sprouts and cilantro.
In a jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake to mix.
If the salad is served immediately, drizzle all of the dressing over the salad.
If salad is to be served later, use only half of dressing over salad, then at the last minute add the other half of dressing, stirring to coat.
May be served room temperature or chilled.