Kacang Panjang Kecap - Indonesian Green Beans in Sweet Soy
This is a simple but delicious Indonesian recipe for French / green beans. It goes perfectly with Nasi Kuning (festive yellow rice). This recipe comes from 'Recipes from our Thai kitchen'.
SERVES 3 -4
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb French style green bean, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-5 fresh Thai red chili peppers, halved lengthways & deseeded
- 3 tablespoons ketjap manis (kecap manis, Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1 fresh tomato, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon fried shallot
- salt, to taste
Put garlic, fresh shallots, and 2 tablespoons water into a mortar and pestle and smash into a smooth paste. Set aside.
Heat oil in a wok over medium-low heat. Add paste and cook, stirring, about 8 minutes. Add beans and chiles, stir to combine.
Add kecap manis and 1/4 cup water, stir to coat. Increase heat to medium high and stir-fry until beans are barely fork tender, 6-8 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt to taste and transfer to a large bowl.
Let beans rest for about 10 minutes before serving, to allow flavors to intensify. Garnish with generous amount of fried shallots, and serve with festive yellow rice. Enjoy!