From: Frank Durante
Here is a modified version of a Vietnamese recipe I found which
calls for the addition of nouc mam (fish sauce).
Adjust ingredients to your taste.
Slice tofu lengthwise in half and then into bite sized cubes.
- 1 cake of firm or extra firm tofu
- Fresh ginger juice - 3 tablespoons
- 5 large cloves sliced garlic
- 3-4 large shallots sliced
- hot chili pepper paste (sambal olek) to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- finely chopped scallions
- fresh squeezed lime juice - from one lime
- 1 stalk of lemongrass chopped very fine
Drain very well on cloth towels or paper towels for a few hours pressing
very lightly every so often.
Marinate the tofu in hot sauce, ginger juice, and chopped lemon
grass for a few hours.
Heat some oil in a non stick pan.
Add shallots and garlic and sauté until golden-brown.
Remove and reserve.
Add a little more oil if necessary and fry the tofu (drain and reserve
marinade) until browned on all sides.
Add the garlic/shallots and cook for several minutes.
Add the reserved marinade and cook for a few minutes until somewhat
Serve over jasmine rice with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and
a generous helping of chopped scallions.
You can add slices of fresh Thai chili peppers and fresh ground
black pepper if you wish.