Croatian Sour Soup
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small parsnip, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups vegetable stock, heated
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- minced chives, optional
Simmer potato in salted water until tender but firm.
Drain and set aside, covered.
Saute the onions and paprika in the oil, add the garlic and saute for a few minues more.
Mix in the fennel, bay leaf, carrots, parsnips and celery, saute for 5 minutes, stirring.
Sift the flour ino the vegetables and simmer on low heat for a few minutes, stirring.
Add the salt, black pepper, vinegar and vegetable stock.
Simmer for 10 minutes then stir in the potatoes and sauerkraut.
Garnish each bowl with chives, serve with black bread or marbled rye.