Finnish Summer Soup
I love soup! :) I also collect Finnish recipes, and this is one of my adopted recipes.
- 2 cups water
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 6 small green onions, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 12 young fresh baby carrots, 1/2 lb
- 1/2 lb young fresh green bean, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups tiny peas, fresh shelled
- 2 cups light soy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Heat water to boiling in a wide 5-quart pan; add potatoes.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, margarine, onions, carrots, and green beans; simmer for 8 more minutes.
Add peas and cook for another 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
In a small bowl, stir together soy cream and flour until smooth; stir into simmering vegetables.
Cook, stirring until soup slightly thickened (about 5 minutes)
May be served with open faced sandwiches.