German Beet Salad
- 2 bunches beets
- 2 tablespoons bottled water
- 2 fluid ounces white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (, Optional)
- 5 tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil (Optional)
Wash beets and trim off greens.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, add the beets and cook, covered, until beets are tender.
Remove from heat, drain, and peel and slice when cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, caraway seeds, sugar, onion, horseradish, cloves, salt, pepper and oil.
Add beets and toss to coat.
Let stand for several hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve at room temperature or chilled, as desired.