Stuffed Filo Parcels
from The Vegetarian
Society UK - www.vegsoc.org
Use your favourite vegetarian stuffing mix in this recipe or make
This recipe is excellent for Christmas in a family that has only
one or two vegetarian members or is perhaps entertaining a vegetarian
The parcels can be assembled and then refrigerated for 24 hours
before cooking them and completing the dish. Indeed, most of the
ingredients will be part of everyone's Christmas meal.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
- 6 medium-sized field mushrooms (flat)
- oil to fry the mushrooms
- 225g / 8oz packet fresh or frozen filo pastry
- 25g / 1oz vegan margarine, melted
- 30ml / 6tsp cranberry or redcurrant sauce
- extra cranberry or redcurrant sauce, to serve
- hazelnut stuffing
- 1 packet vegetarian stuffing mix, eg. parsley, lemon and thyme
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 15g / 1/2oz vegan margarine
- 25-50g / 1-2oz roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- soya milk, for binding
2. Fry the mushrooms for 3~4 minutes on each side until tender,
Make up the stuffing mix of your choice.
Fry the onion and celery in the margarine, and then add the stuffing
mix and hazelnuts.
Add a little soya milk if necessary to bind together.
Leave to cool.
3. Fill each flat field mushroom with the stuffing mixture.
4. Take 3 sheets of filo pastry at a time.
Cut in half so you have 10~12.5cm/4~5 inch squares.
Take one square and brush with a little melted butter or margarine.
Place another square on top at an angle, and brush again.
Do the same with a third sheet.
5. Place a stuffed mushroom in the middle of the filo pastry and
top with a teaspoon of cranberry or redcurrant sauce.
Bring the edges of the pastry up together and pinch them to form
a little parcel (money-bag shape).
Make up the rest of the parcels in the same way.
6. Brush with melted margarine and place on a greased baking tray.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15~20 minutes until the pastry is
crisp and golden.
Serve hot with extra cranberry or redcurrant sauce.