and Sweet Potatoes
from The Vegetarian
Society UK - www.vegsoc.org
As Christmas is a special occasion, it's always a good idea
to use some slightly more exotic or unusual vegetables to accompany
the festive dinner.
This dish makes a delicious change from the traditional brussels
sprouts and roasted parsnips.
1. Parboil the sweet potatoes in boiling lightly salted water for
10 minutes, then drain and cut into cubes.
- 450g / 1lb sweet potatoes, peeled
- 15g / 1/2oz vegan margarine
- 175ml/6floz orange juice
- 2.5cm / 1 inch piece of root ginger, peeled, grated and juice
- grated zest of half an orange
- 450g / 1lb carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish
2. Melt the margarine in a saucepan.
Add the orange juice, ginger juice, orange zest, sweet potatoes
Bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 8~10 minutes, until
the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove the pan lid, turn up the heat and boil the liquid
in the pan until syrupy, stirring frequently.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Transfer the glazed vegetables to a warm serving dish and
sprinkle with chopped parsley.