Portuguese Bean Soup
A cannellini bean soup with sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and swiss chard. Serves well with a slice of crusty wholegrain bread. -Recipe from Dr. Mehmet C. Oz's book
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, diced (1/2 inch unpeeled pieces)
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 (7 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 (8 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups swiss chard, sliced and packed
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add oil and onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add broth, potato, and chili garlic sauce.
Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and beans.
Return to a simmer, then add swiss chard.
Simmer 5 more minutes or until sweet potatoes and chard are tender.
Stir in vinegar and ladle into bowls.