Portuguese Sangria Blanco
I'm not a wine drinker, but I do enjoy sangria in the summer! This is a nice, light and refreshing white wine version and a great patio drink; be sure to serve some of the drunken little fruits with each glass!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 (750 ml) bottle white wine, preferably a chardonnay
- 1 small unpeeled apple, sliced in thin wedges (I like Pink Lady apples)
- 1 orange, unpeeled and cut into 4 wedges
- 1 banana, sliced
- sparkling water, to top off glasses
- ice cube
In a small saucepan, simmer together water, sugar and cinnamon sticks for 5 minutes; remove cinnamon sticks and let mixture cool.
Combine juices and wine; stir in fruits and cooked sugar mixture; chill for at least 4 or 5 hours.
For each serving, pour sangria over ice, top off with some sparkling water and add some of the fruit slices to each glass.