Salad-In-A-Sandwich (Pan Bagnat)
From: Karen C.
Recipe By: Cole Publishing Group Recipe Collection;
Serving Size: 4 Pan Bagnat:
- 3 cups Boston lettuce -- torn into pieces
- 1/3 cup slivered red onion
- 1/4 cup small whole Nicoise -- or slivered olives
- 1 stalk celery -- thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper -- seeded and slivered
- 4 large round or rectangular French rolls -- split
- 1/2 can Worthington "Frichik" -- drained and mashed
- 1 tomato -- thinly sliced
Lightly mix lettuce, onion, olives, celery, pepper, and dressing.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic -- minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- 1/3 cup olive oil
To prepare Nicoise Dressing:
Combine vinegar, garlic, salt, and herbes de Provence in a small
Using a whisk or fork, gradually beat in oil, mixing until well
To serve, place about a fourth of the lettuce mixture on bottom
half of each roll.
Cover each with a fourth of the "Frichik" and tomato slices.
Add tops of rolls.
Salad Yield: 4 servings.
Dressing Yield: 6 tablespoons.