Red Cabbage and Apples
This is a traditional Danish Christmas dish
- 1 medium red cabbage, shredded (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 large granny smith apple, shredded (or any Tart apple)
- 1 medium russet potato, grated
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt and pepper
In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
Reduce heat to low, simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoe and cabbage are tender and cooked (about 40 minutes).
Serve hot or cold.