Restaurant Sent Sovi's Gazpacho
Sent Sovi is a remarkable restaurant is Saratoga, CA, at the foot of the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (he uses more, but I found this was plenty)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (they use gray salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 4 lbs tomatoes, very ripe
- 4 ounces sourdough bread
Roughly chop and combine all ingredients.
Cover with plastic wrap and marinate overnight.
Blend thoroughly in blender and pass through a food mill or medium mesh strainer.
(Alternatively, you can peel and seed the tomatoes first. I found this easier for me.).
Garnish, if desired with fresh herbs, a swirl of olive oil, and toasted breadcrumbs.
Sometimes he said he piles on some bay shrimp and/or chopped avocado.