Romanian Bean Soup
Recipe courtesy of Chet Day's Daily Crock website.
SERVES 8 -10
- 2 cups dried lima beans
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 knorr vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
Soak lima beans in cold water overnight. Drain the lima beans and rinse in several changes of water to float away as many loosened shells as possible.
Place beans in crockpot with 8 cups fresh water, the chopped onion, carrot, garlic and bouillon cube. Cover tightly and cook 18 to 24 hours on low until beans are very tender.
Remove from heat and let cool a little.
In the meantime, heat the butter in a skillet and saute the finely diced onion until it is very brown.
Ladle a small amount of soup at a time into blender or bowl of a food processor and puree until all soup is pureed. Return to pot and stir in browned onions. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.