Spanish Green Bean Salad
I have been making this recipe for more than 25 years. It is easy-to-make and very colourful. Serve it cold, warm or at room temperature -- I prefer at room temp. It's a great make-ahead recipe because it keeps well for several days in the fridge. Adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.
SERVES 6 -8
- 2 lbs green beans, trim ends and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces red bell peppers, roasted, skinned and diced (in the USA, you can buy this in a jar as pimiento)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or more)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (white vinegar is also okay)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1-2 teaspoon sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- shredded lettuce, to serve
Cook beans in the microwave for 6-7 minutes until crisp-tender. Or you can cook in a pan with a small amount of boiling water.
Put the next 9 ingredients (dressing) in a jar with a lid. Cover and shake well.
Pour dressing over beans, stir well and refrigerate (I usually put this all in a container with a tight-fitting lid and shake the dickens out of it).
Serve over shredded lettuce -- at whatever temperature you prefer. It takes at least an hour for this to come to room temperature after being in the fridge.