Vegetable Paella 4
A lovely vegetarian version of a classic Spanish dish
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain rice, such as Valencia or arborio rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea
- 1/2 cup frozen green bean
- 1/2 cup fresh asparagus tips
- 1 medium ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 4 artichoke hearts, quartered
- cooked green peas (for garnish)
- pimiento, slices (for garnish)
In small cup, mix saffron threads with 1 tablespoons water and set aside.
In large skillet or wide-bottom stockpot, heat olive oil.
Add onion, garlic, and red and green bell peppers.
Sauté 2 minutes.
Stir in rice and sauté another minute or until rice grains are well coated in oil.
Add water and bring to boil over high heat, then immediately reduce heat to medium.
Stir in saffron-and-water mixture, tomato paste, salt, paprika, black pepper, and oregano, followed by peas, beans, asparagus tips, and tomato.
Cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
Stir in artichoke hearts and set heat to low-medium.
Cover and cook another 15 minutes or until rice grains are fluffy.