Linda Boyd -
Originally from Dan Ellingworth sent to Veggies
1. Melt half the margarine in an ovenproof saucepan / casserole.
- 2oz rolled oats
- 2oz pinhead oatmeal
- 2oz mixed chopped nuts
- 2 oz margarine
- 1 large carrot
- 4oz mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- small can kidney beans (drained)
- 2 oz vegetarian suet
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast extract
- 1 tablespoon (or more!) whisky
- 1 teaspoon (at least) freshly ground black pepper
- juice 1/2 lemon (or 1 lime)
- 3 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
Add oats, oatmeal and nuts and cook for 3 minutes.
Put in bowl.
2. Chop carrot, mushrooms onion and kidney beans finely (food
processor very handy here!).
Melt rest of margarine, add chopped veg, and cook for another 2
Add the rest of the ingredients, and the oat mixture.
Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to medium oven for 40 minutes.
Traditionally, serve with "bashet neeps" (mashed swede) and "mashet
tatties" (mashed potatoes) and copious amounts of whisky.
Also goes well with roast onions (put in the oven 10 minutes before
(The fat content can be reduced by halving (or removing) the suet.
If this is done, check it isn't getting too dry, and add some veggie
stock if neccessary.)
Also traditionally served on Jan 25th (Robert Burns Birthday)
with some suitably poor poetry!