Vegetarian Portuguese Kale Soup
Recipe courtesy Gertrude's Gallery in Newport, RI via $40 a Day with Rachael Ray. Here is a vegetarian version of this delicious soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 diced turnip
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 6 ounces soy chorizo, chopped (vegetarian chorizo)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup kidney bean
- 3/4 cup diced tomato (6 ounces)
- 10 ounces diced potatoes (about 2 medium)
In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, turnips and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale, chorizo, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and mix well.
Add the veg. stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the salted water to a boil and add the diced potatoes. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and add them to the soup.
Remove the bay leaves and serve hot. Enjoy!