From: Helen Watson
More recipes at http://www.watson.force9.co.uk
By: Classic British; Yield: 4 servings
Pre-heat oven to 170 °C / 325 °F / Gas 3.
- 1 kg red cabbage
- 2 onions; chopped
- 2 cooking apples; peeled, cored and grated
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 25g margarine
- fresh thyme sprigs; for garnish
Cut off and discard the large white ribs from the outer leaves
of the cabbages then finely shred it.
Layer the shredded cabbage in a large ovenproof dish with the
onions, apples, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and sugar.
Pour over the wine vinegar.
Cut the butter into cubes and scatter over the mixture.
Cover the dish and cook in the oven for about 1½ hours, stirring
a couple of times, until the cabbage is very tender.
Serve hot garnished with thyme sprigs.