in mustard oil and spices
Resource Center - Boston, USA
Scrub potatoes well
- 500g Potatoes (very small new potatoes are best or larger
ones cut in bite size pieces)
- 60ml Mustard oil
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds (or 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp mustard
- 1/4 teaspoons ground asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons amchur (ground dried mango)
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Lime wedges and fresh mint to garnish
Heat mustard oil in heavy based saucepan over high heat then add
cumin seeds and ground asafoetida.
When seeds splutter add potatoes and cook stirring for about 2 mins
until they change colour and begin to look opaque but not translucent.
Lower heat and add the rest of the spices stirring well until blended
Cover pan and cook over a low heat stirring occasionally so the
potatoes don't scorch.
Cook for 8-10 mins or until soft.
Serve hot with mint and lime wedges (a mint raita goes very well
variations: chopped zucchini, beans, peas or other vegetable
can be added when the spices are added.