Cannellini and Vegetables
From: Karen C.
Recipe By: Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home; Serving Size: 4
Bring the water to a boil in a large covered pot.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 onion -- chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 carrots -- diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper -- chopped
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 zucchini -- diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced mint (1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced dill (1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh marjoram (sprinkling of dried)
- 5 artichoke hearts (14 oz can) -- drained and chopped
- 2 cups cannellini beans (15 oz can) -- rinsed & drained
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- red wine vinegar
While the water heats, saute the garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons
of the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
Add carrots and bell pepper.
When the water boils, add the orzo, return to a boil, and simmer
for about 10 minutes, until al dente.
Dice the zucchini and stir it into the skillet of vegetables.
Add the mint, dill, and marjoram.
Add the artichoke hearts and gently stir the beans and the stewed
Simmer for several minutes, stirring occasionally.
When the pasta is al dente, drain and stir in the remaining tablespoon
When the beans and vegetables are hot, add the orzo.
Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with red wine vinegar.