This recipe heralds from Adana, southern region of Turkey.
Place bread cubes in a 9"x13" baking pan (preferably glass).
- 1 to 2 loaves French bread, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup Tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) great Northern beans
- 2 Tablespoons Sumac
- (small amounts of black pepper, cayenne, cumin)
- 1 stick margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or paprika
Broil bread until golden brown.
Mix the tahini with crushed garlic, salt, and lemon juice.
Add enough water to this paste to bring the consistency of pancake
Drain the beans, wash well.
Stir the beans into the tahini mixture.
Spread the beans mixture over the toasted bread cubes.
Sprinkle with the spices starting with black pepper and ending with
Melt margarine until golden brown.
Stir in either cayenne or paprika according to taste.
Drizzle over the prepared dish.