Brown Rice With Leeks, Asparagus And Corn
Recipe By : Vegetarian Times, November 1998
Serving Size : 4;
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced leeks -- (about 2 large)
- 2 cups zucchini -- diced (1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced (3 to 4)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 medium carrots -- diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 ears corn -- cut into 1" sections
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley -- (or 1 tbs. dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 stalks frozen or fresh asparagus -- trimmed and peeled
In a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil; add leeks, zucchini
Cook over medium heat about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add turmeric; cook 1 minute more.
Stir in water, brown rice, wild rice, carrots, peas, corn, parsley,
thyme, pepper and salt. Cover and bake 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and fluff with a fork.
Arrange asparagus over top, cover, and bake until liquid is absorbed,
about 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.
Serve from skillet if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Per Serving: 424 Cal.; 10g Prot.; 6g Fat; 91g Carb.; 0 Chol.;
479mg Sod.; 11g Fiber.
Brown rice and wild rice are combined with vegetables for a straight-from-the-hearth
Asparagus, frozen if you can't find fresh, endows the dish with
a dash of panache.