Serve over rice or with another curry or...
Heat the veg. oil in a pot. Add chopped onion; saute until soft but
not brown, about 10 min.
- veg. oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 T. chopped ginger root
- 12 oz. split red (or other) lentils (the lentils turn yellow
when cooked; yellow ones may turn beige!)
- approx. 6 c. veggie stock (or water)
- 4 tsp. curry powder
- large can crushed pineapple, with juice (I used 20 oz. can because
that's what I had!)
- salt to taste
Add the ginger; saute another couple of minutes. Add the curry
powder and lentils, stirring well to mix. Add the pineapple and
its juice. Add the stock (or water). Bring to boil; reduce heat;
cover; simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and the lentils
are cooked to the nearly-mush stage (add more stock/water if needed).
Serve over rice. For a whole meal, prepare a dry veg. curry (with
potatoes, cauliflower and peas, for example) to accompany this dish.