from: Radha Vaidyanathan - Mantua,
New Jersey, USA
Source of recipe: Father
Number served: 6-8
Cooking time: NIL
Heat oil in frying pan and lower heat, fry the following for 10
- 1/2 freshly grated coconut
- Chana daal - 4 tablespoons
- Red chilies - 4
- Green chilies - 3
- Asafotida - 1/4 teaspoon
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons
- Tamarind - soaked in warm water and crushed well, decant
- coarsely chopped coriander leaves - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons or to taste
- Black Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Place the above into an osterizer and grind the above into a
coarse mixture with Tamarind water.
Add freshly grated coconut into the above mixture and grind.
Grind into coarse mixture with little more of tamarind water,
Do not grind smooth, just enough to get the above together.
Add coriander leaves and grind couple of rounds.
Pour into clean dish and add popped mustard seeds and salt to
taste (about 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons)
Mix well with spoon and serve with Idli,Dosa or Masala Vadai.