from: Kate L
Pugh - Oxford, UK
This is my favourite garam masala recipe
- if I tried to list all the books that helped me come up with it
there'd be more space taken up by that than the actual recipe.
If you don't have one or two of the spices listed here don't worry
- just leave them out and you'll still get a recognisable garam
If you don't have the equipment to grind your own spices, experiment
with mixing together as many of the spices below as you can find
in roughly the same proportions.
Makes about 2 tbsp.
1. Cut open the cardamom pods and remove the seeds.
- 2 tsp coriander seed
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp green or brown cardamom pods
- 1-2 bay leaves
Discard the pods and the funny stuff around the seeds.
Break the bay leaves up into small pieces.
2. Roast everything together over low heat in a dry (ie no oil)
- nonstick is best - until they start to smell nice.
3. Remove from the heat and grind together in a coffee grinder.
This recipe comes from Kate's Cookery Site: More